Arizona’s 55th Legislative Session just began, and we are already seeing egregious attacks on healthcare professionals and their freedom to provide necessary medical care to patients. Many of these bills would directly harm patients, and some go as far as to criminalize healthcare professionals for essential treatments and procedures.
Please join the ACLU of Arizona and our Policy Director Darrell Hill on Wednesday, February 9th from 6 - 7 p.m. for an in-depth virtual conversation about the many threats we see coming from the Arizona State Legislature to our local healthcare community.
Some of these attacks include:
- Letting legislators, not healthcare professionals, determine the appropriate standard of care for teens and vulnerable adults
- Escalating Arizona’s drug overdose epidemic by creating laws that do not align with widely accepted, effective public health and harm reduction strategies
- Intruding upon the confidentiality of the patient-physician relationship
- Criminalizing healthcare professionals who provide abortion related care
- Criminalizing healthcare professionals who provide gender affirming care to transgender minors
- Requiring healthcare professionals to choose between upholding ethical standards of care or following the law
We are alarmed at these attacks on our healthcare professionals, and hope you will join us to learn how you can help uphold civil rights and liberties and push back against these egregious assaults.