Adopted by the Board of Directors July 2016
Arizona is a state in which the individual rights and civil liberties of all are valued, respected and ensured.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona is the state’s premier guardian of liberty, working daily in the courts, Arizona Legislature, and communities statewide to defend and preserve individual rights and freedoms guaranteed to all by the Constitution and the laws of the United States and Arizona.
Individual Liberty: We value the defense and protection of liberty, especially the rights identified in the First Amendment.
Justice: We value a civil society that is guided by the United States Constitution, Bill of Rights and the Constitution of the State of Arizona.
Equality: We value and support laws and regulations that adhere to the principles expressed in the United States Constitution guaranteeing fair and equitable treatment and protection to all.
In our work as a non-partisan organization, we also value collaboration to accomplish our goals; integrity in pursuit of our mission; and organizational leadership committed to achieving our vision.
- To expose, oppose and challenge laws and policies that discriminate against segments of the population based on actual or perceived race, ethnicity or national origin.
- To raise public awareness of the need to respect and protect the constitutional rights and civil liberties of all under the jurisdiction of the United States of America.
- To update Arizona’s employment, housing, and public accommodations nondiscrimination laws to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity/expression.
- To reduce the prison population in Arizona and provide alternatives to incarceration for non-violent offenders.
- To increase transparency and accountability of charter schools to ensure fair and equitable treatment.