The ACLU of Arizona—a leader in the fight against mass incarceration, discrimination in public education, threats to LGBTQ equality and immigrants’ rights—is seeking a Policy Associate to work in our Phoenix office. Under the supervision of the Policy Director, this position will provide research, writing, and advocacy support on a wide range of civil liberties issues. The policy associate will prepare written reports, track legislation, lead stakeholder meetings, educate and lobby policymakers, and represent the ACLU at public meetings.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides research and analysis to support ACLU-AZ policy priorities.
- Drafts and develops content for reports, fact sheets, talking points, issue briefs, legislative testimony and other materials.
- Plans and coordinates workshops and meetings, including within the Campaign for Smart Justice.
- Under the guidance of the Policy Director, leads and supports state and municipal-level policy initiatives.
- Tracks and analyzes legislation affecting civil liberties.
- Creates regular reports for internal and external stakeholders regarding priority legislation and issues.
- A demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights, and strong support for the mission and goals of the ACLU.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience and familiarity with legislative and/or policy advocacy.
- Ability to interact with the community, build trust and work effectively and collaboratively with diverse staff, coalitions, community groups, and volunteers.
- Research, writing, and analytical skills are required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to influence others and obtain cooperation both internally and externally.
- Commitment to diversity and respect for differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
- Familiarity with the political landscape within Arizona preferred.
- Experience with issue or electoral organizing is preferred.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The ACLU-AZ offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience, and competitive with public interest salaries. Benefits include three weeks paid vacation; 100%-employer paid medical and dental insurance, life and long-term disability insurance; 401(k); and twelve paid holidays. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, three professional references including their email, phone and relationship to you, and a writing sample (no more than 5 pages, double-spaced) to: Office Manager Beth Thomson-Gorman at: email@example.com and please reference “Policy Associate” in the email subject line. You can submit hard copies to: ACLU of Arizona, Policy Associate, P.O. Box 17148, Phoenix, AZ 85011. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed. Applicants should follow the instructions above regarding how to apply.
This position will be filled after the Policy Director is hired, so applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ABOUT THE ACLU
For the past nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been at the forefront of every major civil liberties fight in our country’s history. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote, we take up the toughest civil liberties issues to defend all individuals from government abuse and overreach. With ACLU affiliate offices in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, we fight tirelessly in the courts, legislatures, and through community engagement to ensure that all individuals’ rights are protected. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of lawyers, public policy experts, lobbyists, community organizers, and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU of Arizona comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Arizona and the ACLU Foundation of Arizona. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation of Arizona are statewide organizations with the same overall mission; they share office space and employees. The ACLU of Arizona has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU-AZ.”